From 1 July 2019, a new statewide council will review and monitor perioperative care in Victoria.
The Victorian Perioperative Consultative Council will work to improve care for patients before, during and after surgical procedures.
We are looking for an inaugural Chair to lead the establishment of the council, engage with the health sector and work closely with SCV, the Department of Health and Human Services and the Minister for Health.
The chair will be appointed for a three-year term, from 2019-2022, with the option for reappointment.
Why a new council?
In 2018 Safer Care Victoria undertook a review of two independent councils that review mortality and morbidity cases - the Victorian Surgical Consultative Council and the Victorian Consultative Council on Anaesthetic Mortality and Morbidity.
Our review found a need for ongoing case review that is objective, well-informed and timely. However, under the current model, there is the potential for case clusters to be missed.
As a result, we are establishing the Victorian Perioperative Consultative Council to combine and strengthen the functions of the two councils.
This new council will work to reduce avoidable causes of mortality and morbidity associated with surgery and anaesthesia and provide recommendations to improve perioperative care in Victoria.
The Chair will be instrumental in setting the scope, functions and direction of the new council. You will be required to identify gaps, recommend system improvements to the sector, and provide timely, accurate and strategic advice to key stakeholders, including the Minister for Health.
Who are we looking for
We are looking for someone with:
- expertise in system-wide quality and safety measures and standards in healthcare, particularly in perioperative care
- recent senior clinical or academic experience in perioperative care or health service management/operations
- demonstrated strategic thinking, planning and leadership skills
- experience or interest in developing statewide advice and recommendations.
The council aims for a diverse and gender balanced membership. Women and applicants from culturally diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work closely with some of the biggest leaders in Victoria’s health sector, including the Minister for Health and the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services
- Help drive statewide quality and safety improvement in perioperative care
- Advise SCV, the minister and the department on ways to improve patient experiences and outcomes.
How to apply
Download the position description below.
Submit a cover letter and resume to:
Dr Shirin Anil
Manager, Consultative Council Unit, Safer Care Victoria
Applications close 14 June 2019.
(03) 9096 8078
Last updated 21 May 2019
Last updated 21 May 2019